Thursday, September 15, 2011

Budget Cuts Cutting Into Higher Education

While looking for an article that caught my attention, I wanted to find one that would reach out to my other classmates as well. However, seeing how Rick Perry is dominating pretty much everything that encompasses Texas government, I decided I would pick something a bit different instead of following his presidential campaign.

I found an article in The Texas Tribune that had come out about a month ago, but is going to be very relevant information for college students in the years to come. So what's the topic? College education and how the bills passed by the Texas Legislature will shape most college students' futures.

The Texas Tribune began on the first of August a series of articles called "31 Days, 31 Ways" that reviewed all the changes Texas residents would begin to face the first of September due to the passing of these bills. Now we all know that tuition is already a handful unless you're one of the lucky few that don’t have to worry about how their college education will be paid. (I wish I was fortunate enough to say I was one of the lucky ones, alas, I am not.) The article said that financial aid funding would begin to diminish. That means financial aid programs ranging from TEXAS Grants to the Top 10 Percent Scholarships will experience many reductions. At least 15% of the funding that these programs received once upon a time will no longer be available to many students.

Again, as I’ve stated, while this article wasn’t released a couple of days ago, I think the information is incredibly relevant to many students such as myself. I encourage anyone pursing a college education to take a read to be prepared and know how these Texas bills will affect us all.

(I included a link to the “31 Days, 31 Ways” series page in case anyone was interested in checking out the changes that will begin to happen based on the many decisions Texan lawmakers have made.)

No comments:

Post a Comment